Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dare to be different!

I'm sure at one point or the other you have written a letter or two; it could have been in a form of a memo, a business correspondence, a letter of application for a job, or simply a small note to a friend, colleague, or a family member, right?

Did your letter satisfy the purpose for which it was written? If it did, I'm sure you got what you wanted, right? If it did not, what were your thoughts then? How did you feel? You don't have to tell me. I have been there myself. But I have learned my mistakes and moved forward.

Having learned my mistakes, I went back to basics and did some research. I went as far as going to a local bookstore and bought a book on  "How to Write Effective Letters."  Well, I admit that I tried copying some ideas provided by the book, thinking that it would somehow get my message across effectively - just the way I wanted it to be. But somehow I knew that  it wasn't me writing that letter. . . Frustrating? It's an understatement! It felt  horrible. Why? I felt I was a second rate, trying hard copycat! But did it satisfy my purpose of writing it? Well, honestly, it did, but only to a certain extent.  But then again, it wasn't me!
Yeah, right! That wasn't me writing that letter . . . it was the book!

The operative word here is being "DIFFERENT."

Later on, I came to realize that writing a letter must come form the heart, be it a  memo, a business correspondence, a letter of  application, or a small note. In other words, your sincerity in writing a letter plays a single role in defining the contents of your letter, the purpose for which it is written, and more importantly, it conveys to your reader your personality as the writer of the letter.

So, in this blog, I will outline and discuss at some length the basics of writing a letter in all its forms, which includes, but not limited to, personal letters and notes, memos, business correspondences, reports, and even legal forms which I hope you will find very useful in all your writing needs.

Now, it is time to get down to the brass tacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...