Monday, April 11, 2011

Letter of Resignation


There are many reasons why a person resigns from his present position; to seek green pastures, or ill health. But whatever the reason, such resignation should be written rather than verbal. The letter should state the reason for resigning, a note of appreciation, or regret, or both, and a definite date when the resignation will take effect.


Consider the following examples:

Gentlemen:

Please consider this letter my resignation from the company which will take effect at the closing business hours of June 30, 2010.

The Asian Institute of Accountancy has offered me a teaching position I was unable to refuse.  Considering my chief interest lies in the field of teaching Accountancy, I have decided to take up the offer.

Let me take this occasion to thank the officers and staff of the company for the generous support and good camaraderie accorded to me during the entire seven years I have been with the company.

Sincerely yours, 




The idea is to keep the letter brief, straight forward, but sincere. Below is another example:


Gentlemen:

It is with much reluctance and deep regret that I am tendering my resignation from the company as President due to ill health which has recently prevented me from performing my duties and responsibilities in a manner satisfactory to me and to the company.

I am very thankful for the trust and confidence the board of directors has shown to me in the many years of service with the company. It is, therefore, extremely difficult for me to request that you accept my resignation immediately upon the presentation of this letter at your next month's board meeting.

Sincerely yours,


In my succeeding blogs, I shall take up the proper use of punctuations and correct grammar in writing letters. Sad to say, many of our potentially good writers today fail in these aspects, and, I am sure you will find these topics which will be discussed at length, however boring, useful in enhancing your writing skills.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rommel for your comments. Should you have any writing topics you wish me to discuss, or have a need of a reference to a particular letter, I am just a note away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...